Located near the outlet of Swartswood Lake, Keen’s Mill was once a successful saw and grist mill. It harkens back to a time when water powered the industries of New Jersey. Built in 1838 by George Keen, the mill was constructed on the site of at least one earlier mill. In 1902, a great flood washed out the dam at Swartswood Lake. When a new dam was built, Keen’s Mill was retrofitted with modern equipment including a submergible turbine. It was to be used to control the water flow to an electric plant at Blair Academy. The mill was abandoned shortly after this modernization and most of the new equipment has since disappeared.
Facilities for People with Disabilities
We encourage people with disabilities who require special considerations to contact the historic site / park at the phone number listed in the general information on the home page of the historic site / park. The staff will assist with arrangements. Text telephone (TT) users, please call the NJ Relay Services at (800) 852-7899.
For the Comfort and Enjoyment of All
This historic site / park is part of the NJ State Park system and your cooperation with the following will help ensure the survival of the museum collections, historic structures & features and surrounding property for the enjoyment and education of future generations!
Please contact this historic site / park with specific inquiries about any of these restrictions, as there may be some variations at this specific historic site / park.
Grounds Hours sunrise to sunset
Entrance Fee none